FAQs for Admitted Freshman Students

Connect with Admissions FAQs

What visit options are the Office of Admissions offering?

Admissions is offering on-campus and virtual information sessions and tours. We also have a virtual campus tour that is accessible online at any time. Please check our Visit Mason page often as more opportunities will continue to be added. Registration is first come, first served.

How do I request a virtual meeting with Mason Admissions?

Virtual meeting appointments are available now for prospective and admitted freshman students seeking advice or information about the application process, next steps for admitted students, academic and experiential learning opportunities, or student and community life at Mason. Locate and contact your admission counselor via email using our Meet Your Counselor directory.

Deposit FAQs

Financial concerns are making it difficult to pay my deposit. I'd like to attend Mason. What should I do?

Please reach out to your Admissions Counselor and we would be happy to assist you.

I've paid my enrollment deposit, what comes next?

Congratulations! We look forward to welcoming you to Mason! You can find your Next Steps for Admitted Students in your application decision portal; log in and scroll down to the section below your decision and application checklist. You can also find the Next Steps on the Admissions website here.  

Records FAQs

My high school grades will be reported differently or not at all due to COVID-19. How will this affect my entry into Mason?

During the global COVID-19 pandemic, Mason Admissions anticipates that students will have pass/fail grades on high school transcripts, or have difficulty retrieving grades or transcripts.
Mason encourages you to do well in your academic coursework despite changes to grading policies or reporting.
Pass/fail grading: Mason sees passing grades in a positive light, and they won’t have a negative impact on your admission. If we have a question about a grade or a lack of reported grades, we’ll contact your school counselor or registrar.
If you have questions about your situation, talk to your Admissions Counselor.

AP, IB and A-Level exams have been cancelled or modified due to COVID-19. Will I still be able to obtain course credit?

To address the needs of AP, IB, and A-Level test-takers affected by COVID-19, George Mason University will accept AP, IB, and A-level examinations taken at home, or in accordance with the testing agency’s guidance, as official.

The change in testing format does not change how credits are awarded.

Please view our exam credit policy and course concordance list on the transfer credit policy page.

Please send official copies of your score reports to Mason when they are available. 

Please contact your admissions Admissions Counselor for clarification or further questions.

What is the deadline to submit my Immunization Record form?

All incoming students must submit the Immunization Record form. Students who are enrolling for the fall semester must submit the form by August 1st. Students who are enrolling for the spring semester must submit the form by January 5. . The Student Health Services Immunization Page can tell you more about the immunization requirements and frequently asked questions.  

When will my transfer credit be evaluated?

If you have earned college-level credit either as credit by exam (ex. AP, IB) or as High School Dual Enrollment, your transfer credit will be evaluated once you submit your intent to enroll at Mason.


Information regarding transfer credit can be found on our Transfer Credit Policy page.

FAFSA and Financial Aid FAQs

My family's financial situation has changed since submitting my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Can Mason help me?

If your family has been financially impacted by COVID-19, our financial aid counselors would be happy to talk with you regarding your situation and to see what might be possible to assist you.

Please reach out to Mason's Financial Aid Office:

Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST
Phone: 703-993-2000 

Or send an email


If you have not submitted a FAFSA and have been impacted financially by COVID-19, please contact your Admissions Counselor for assistance.

Where can I find online information for the Student Accounts Office?

For general financial aid information, please visit the financial aid section of this website

For financial aid information specific to COVID-19, please visit the Financial Aid COVID-19 information page

Deferment FAQs

I'm considering taking a "gap year" between high shool and college. How will this affect my entry into Mason? Who should I contact?

Mason fully supports students who decide on taking a gap year.

"What is a gap year?"  Mason defines a gap year as a year between high school and college when a student takes no classes and earns no credit at another institution. The time can be used for work, volunteering, and other personal pursuits.

 If this sounds like your situation, and you are planning to attend George Mason University upon completion of your gap year, please request a deferral to a subsequent start term.

You will need to remit your enrollment deposit to reserve your place in the class for your new, intended start term.

Deferral and reconsideration requests are made through the online application portal or contact your Admissions Counselor for assistance.

How will Mason handle deferrals?

Students wishing to defer admission to George Mason University may submit a deferral request.

You may request to defer for one semester or one year.

In order to do so, please remit your enrollment deposit to reserve your spot for the term you wish to start at Mason.

How will deferment affect merit scholarships?

If you are deferring from the semester to a subsequent semester for any reason, George Mason University will honor your merit scholarship package according to the terms presented in your acceptance letter. You will, however, need to re-file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please keep in mind that you must be enrolled full-time (minimum of 12 credits) and maintain a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade-point average in order to renew your scholarship annually. If your residency status changes at any point, this award amount will be adjusted or cancelled. Your award will also be adjusted or cancelled if you are receiving ROTC or other benefits that are for tuition and fees. Additional details about your scholarship eligibility can be found at admissions.gmu.edu/scholarships. Please reach out to your Admissions Counselor for assistance.  



Academics FAQs

When can I meet with my academic advisor?

Students meet initially with academic advisors during their Orientation session. You will be assigned an advisor during Orientation, and your advisor looks forward to meeting with you then.

What do I do if I want to change my major? How do I declare a minor?

Please contact your Admissions Counselor and we can help you make that change. When you attend orientation, you are welcome to attend the Academic Advising session for the major you want to join, and you can sign up for classes recommended for your new major. You may also complete and submit the Change/Declaration of Academic Program during orientation, or you can wait and complete it once the fall semester has begun. 

Important note: some programs have selective credit/course requirements and may require additional classes or a different application process. Your advisor can help you chart the best course of action.

How does a college class schedule differ from a high school class schedule?

Your schedule in college is going to be vastly different from your high school schedule; you will not be in class for the same amount of time every day with club and activities scheduled within a set period of time before or after school. You are going to choose your classes, as well as what times you will be in class. Classes will also vary in length; you may have one class that meets twice a week for 75 minutes and another class that meets once a week for three hours. As a current student registering for classes, you will use a system called Patriot Scheduler, which will help you generate possible schedules based on the classes you choose. It makes the registration process easy! You will learn how to register for classes at Orientation.

After I complete Orientation, how can I contact my academic advisor?

Academic advisor contact information is available on the Academic Advising website.

What are the plans for current and future semesters regarding COVID-19?

Please refer to our Safe Return to Campus page, where you can find the latest COVID-19 and campus health updates.

Where can I find information about Orientation?

The Office of New Student and Family Programs website has more information about Orientation. Please visit their website or contact their office with your questions at orientu@gmu.edu or 703-993-2475.

New Student Life FAQs

How can I connect with current Mason students?

Our current Mason students would love to connect with you! One way to connect is through the Mason Admissions’ social media accounts; we are active on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. The Mason Admissions’ YouTube channel features vlogs made by current Mason students and creators. These videos provide an inside look at Mason’s campus community, academic life, and student life. We also offer the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an Admissions Counselor, and in that meeting, you can also meet with a current Mason student. Please reach out to your Admissions Counselor to schedule your virtual one-on-one and request to have a current student be part of that meeting.

What is student life like at Mason?

There are many ways to get involved and opportunities to participate in free programs and events that Mason has to offer. We currently have hundreds of student clubs and organizations to choose from! You can start browsing these options on the student engagement platform, Mason 360.

Will I be able to live on campus?

Yes, we currently guarantee housing on campus for first year students. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Housing and Residence Life website.